Tuesday 4 March 2003

Blimey -- a bit of controversy!! Ivo Miesen writes from NL:
I checked the site only today, and especially paid attention to the pictures
of the Dutch situation. I was quite shocked when I discovered that they were
advising Dutch bikepaths which I regard as downright unsafe. There are safe
bikepaths overhere, but not the ones pictured by them. Concrete slabs
seperating the road from the bikepath earn their respect. I feel dangerous
when I ride on such a path. Any inexperienced cardriver hitting the slab
will lose control, and I as a cyclist don't have the choice to take evasive
action if a pedestrian steps onto the bikepath. The typical Dutch roundabout
design for cyclists has a high casualty figure, especially if the bikepath
is so clearly separated. I didn't check it close enough, but I wouldn't be
surprised if that particular one is even against current regulations. I feel
definitely safer on a British roundabout.
From a statistic point of view, when I was in the Eurostar travelling
towards Rocco's brevet, I read in a Belgian newspaper that 40% of all
accidents with cyclists occur while the cyclist is either on the bikepath,
or just entering/leaving it.

No comments: